Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Mega Quilt

I call it the mega quilt, but really it is such a beautiful vintage style double irish chain two color quilt! More than a year ago, a friend (April) of Mandie (DD2) asked Mandie if she would make a quilt for her (April). Mandie said “sure and I’m sure mom will quilt it for you”! I couldn’t refuse for our sweet April, but I was surprised when I discovered that the quilt was to be more of a bedspread for a king size bed! Approximate dimensions - 134 inches square! Hence the mega quilt!! But I was committed to the task! Mandie pieced the top and then delivered it and the backing fabric to me earlier this year. I was working on the boy quilts and had planned to tackle it soon after finishing them. But what a daunting task! Quilt the large masterpiece on my DSM! How was I to handle all that bulk!! And with my shoulder discomfort!! 

So I pondered on the matter for several weeks as I rehabbed/rested my shoulder. Then I had an ah ha moment! Quilt it in parts!! Sort of quilt as you go,  but how to make it not look like that!! Pondered some more. I studied the layout and determined that by quilting wreaths in the white squares and cross hatching the white patches, I could make it work. I disassembled the top into 3 sections of two rows and one section of 3 rows. I basted the first two rows with one width of backing fabric and a similar width of batting. The quilting from each section only had to match at the crosshatching on the white patch blocks. As I completed a section I would add the next similar to the first and quilt that section all the time keeping the bulk of the quilt on my left which kept a smaller amount of batted quilt going through the harp. (I FMQ on my DSM like I sew any other fabric).

Not the best photos, as it has been cloudy and rainy here for over a week,  but I did manage a drier afternoon, and I got a couple shots before I packaged it up shipping.






Isn’t this backing fabric just beautiful!! 💗💗💗



Hope this finds each of you filled with gratitude and joy!

Blessings and hugs!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my such a beautiful vision in red and white....AND....how beautiful is your quilting, Doniene! Your amazing quilting certainly brings this lovely quilt to another dimension. What a task!! Well done lovely lady.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is amazing, you really do a fantastic jpb of quilting. Hope the shoulder improves soon.

    I am trying slowly to catch up after my hard drive crashed out completely, will be sometime before I am back to where I was. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so incredibly impressed. Is there anything you can't accomplish, Doniene? I wouldn't even know how to begin to do what you have done with this quilt on your domestic machine. It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous, my friend. And yes, I love the backing!

    I hope you are well, dear Doniene. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a task!! And such a labour of love. I love how you solved the problem of quilting such a huge quilt...and I cant see whow/where you performed the surgery. The result is a a beautiful quilt - well done Team Fullager:-)

    ReplyDelete